There are 3 stories that best explain the origins of the Berlin Acoustics Group. One begins in 1980, the other in 2011 and the third in 2015. All three stories are connected by one word: Dedication.
- Teufel is founded as a dealer for loudspeaker DIY kits by Peter Tschimmel. In 1980, a first store in Berlin is opened.
Launch of catalogue sales model
- Teufel changes its business model from specialty DIY store to direct sales via catalogue.
Home cinema pioneers
- Teufel introduces Theater 2, the Company‘s first pure 5.1 home cinema surround system. In 1996, Teufel introduces its first THX certified home cinema system, Theater 8. Today, Teufel is the leader in THX licensed home cinema systems worldwide.
Teufel goes Online
- Teufel establishes its first webshop, enabling the Company to reach a much larger target audience than through a pure catalogue model. Establishing its own webshop, just as the internet was spreading to a broad audience, was a highly innovative step for a consumer electronics player Today, almost 20 years later, BAG is still benefitting from being a first mover in the sale of consumer electronics online.
Expansion of product range – Teufel becomes Europe’s larges audio direct seller
- Teufel enters the field of PC multimedia speakers through the introduction of Concept C – a run-away success. In addition, the LT column series, an elegant aluminium column speaker set is introduced.
- This product range expansion enabled Teufel to claim the position as Europe’s #1 direct seller of loudspeaker systems since 2006.
Meanwhile also in Berlin
- Raumfeld is founded by two audio enthusiasts, Stephan Schulz and Michael Hirsch, as a highly innovative audio start-up. After receiving start-up financing from High-Tech Gründerfonds, Raumfeld develops its first multi-room audio system ready to be launched in the market.
- In 2009, Raumfeld starts to distribute its multi-room Wi-Fi streaming systems across Germany. Since inception, Raumfeld has enjoyed triple-digit percentage growth thanks to its technological edge in a high growth niche.
- In 2010, HgCapital acquires Teufel from The Riverside Company with the aim to further leverage the brand’s e-commerce platform and its technological expertise.
- Shortly thereafter, Teufel makes the strategic acquisition of Raumfeld to enhance the Company’s product portfolio with streaming solutions.
Focus on internal optimisation programme, new management and setting up a platform poised for international growth
- Following the Raumfeld acquisition, the Company and its shareholders focus on an internal optimisation programme to adapt the Company to a more complex product portfolio, growing administrative needs and in order to set-up a platform poised for international growth.
- A key milestone is the hiring of Edgar van Velzen as CEO in October 2012. Edgar (previously with Harman Becker Automotive Systems and Sony Europe) brings along vast experience in selling and marketing consumer audio products.
- Together with Edgar, Jens Ohler (previously with Johnson Controls and Harman Becker) joins as Director of Product Management. Their skills and expertise are complemented by Sascha Mallah, a former colleague at Harman, who joined as Director of Marketing & Sales in April 2013.
- The team is strengthened by Jürgen Schneider, who joined as CFO in May 2013. Jürgen brings many years of finance experience and has played an instrumental role in setting up a lean administration platform, including state-of-the-art finance, control and accounting functions.
- In June 2014, Borja Tena joins as Managing Director to further build up BAG’s China-based centre of competence.
Gradual expansion into new geographies
- In February, the Company launches its first webshop outside Germany, in the Netherlands – by that time the Company has grown to more than 130 employees. In 2013, BAG launches further dedicated country webshops for Austria and Switzerland.
Teufel broadens its horizons even further
- BAG begins selling selected Teufel products via retail partners in China. In addition, the Company starts a co-operation with the German furniture manufacturer hülsta to create a line of media furniture.
Teufel expands while remaining true to its roots
- In April, grand opening of the Teufel Raumfeld flagship store at the prestigious Bikini Concept Mall located in Berlin’s fashionable Ku’damm shopping district, one of Berlin’s most visited tourist areas with the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church and the Berlin Zoological Garden in direct proximity. During summer, the Teufel and Raumfeld offices are also moved into floor space located directly above its flagship store, tying in perfectly with BAG’s all-under-one-roof concept.
International expansion kicks off
- Expansion to Scandinavia, UK and Ireland is kicked off in March through the launch of country-specific webshops in Swedish, Dutch and English. BAG also operates a webshop in English to serve customers in more than 28 European countries. In addition, BAG introduces its Raumfeld brand to the US in preparation for the market launch in Q4/2015.